Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"How Tue"sday - Yummy Mummies

Here is a step-by-step guide for making Yummy Mummies; Pigs in a blanket with a Halloween twist!

Here are the ingredients you need: lil weenies, a can of biscuits, and some cheese and mustard (not pictured).


Cut each biscuit into four pieces and roll those pieces out into long, thin tubes. These tubes will become the mummy's rags.


Next, wrap the weenies. Since the meat was a little slippery, I folded the dough up over the base of the weenie before I wrapped the "rags" to give the "rags" something to stick to (this was in efforts to keep the mummy from slipping out of it's rags).


Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and line up your mummies to be baked (I alternated them to allow room for the dough to expand). When all of your mummies have been wrapped, pop them into the oven (preheated to 400). They will bake for a total of 13 minutes.


After 9 minutes, take the mummies out of the oven and sprinkle cheese over their "rags". I used an Italian blend of shredded cheese, but any white cheese will do. The idea is to give the rags a more stringy and browned effect. Put the mummies back into the oven for the remaining 4 minutes.


DO NOT get crazy like I did. With about a minute left, I peeked into the oven and noticed that the cheese wasn't browning like I wanted it to, so I turned the oven to "broil" and in only 50 SECONDS, I totally cremated my poor little mummies!!! Martha Stewart FAIL!

Since I was making these for a party and since I had already told the host that I was bringing a snack (and since I was supposed to be at the party in 15 minutes), I panicked. Then, I decided to pop the weenies out of their rags (since only the cheese and the top of the dough--and not the actual meat--got burned). I put the weenies back on the tray, re-sprinkled them with cheese, baked them (back on 400) for 5 minutes, and viola!! Naked-Low-Carb-Mummies!!!


Add mustard eyeballs for effect, and serve!

3 comments:

  1. I've made the broil mistake before, too! It was with a quesadilla, and it literally took 30 seconds before the smoke alarm went off. Not my proudest moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Recovery! I would have given up and started over. Great positive thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Thanks, Ms. Liz! I got to the party and the host said "YEAH! She brought MEAT!" and all of the naked low carb mummies got eaten. Oh man. Maybe next week I'll make them better!

    ReplyDelete