Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the 30 Day Challenge--Day 7

Day 7 - A picture of your most treasured item.

I've thought about this post for days. I've looked probably at everything I own and asked myself "is THIS my most treasured item?" or "If my house was burning down, what would be the first thing I grab?" 

And I really don't have an answer.

There was definitely a point in my life where I had a list of things that I would have to get--my Bible, my viola, my wallet, my pictures, some of my favorite CDs. I actually had a box (when I was still living at home) that was like my "fire box" where I kept most of those things just in case.

I think God has really broken me of materialism since coming to seminary; Not because I feel like it's wasteful or because I'm sad about all of the poverty around the world or because of any "Mother Theresa"ish reason...My priorities have just been adjusted and I've come to realize that my stuff is just stuff and I don't think I would use the word "treasured" to describe any of it. Some of it is very valuable, a lot of it has strong emotions attached; I might not be able to afford to replace it all and I might miss a memory-touchstone, but at the end of the day...it's just stuff.

So what do I treasure (since that's the word in today's challenge)? 

The Truth of Christ Jesus--who He was/is, what He did/does, who I am today because of Him, and the hope of who I will be when I am physically in His presence. Just the thought of one day BEING in His presence the way the Bible tells us we will be is a treasured thought. I can't wait to stop thinking about bills and my schedule and my to-do list and everything else and just focus on worshipping Him. 

To be credited with His righteousness and to have the hope of Christ and to be reconciled to the Creator...THAT is what I treasure most.

No comments:

Post a Comment