Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bowl Full of Lemons--Dresser Challenge

A Bowl Full of Lemons is doing a "21 Days to Getting Organized" challenge. I'm not doing the entire challenge because not all of the challenges are directly applicable to my space here in seminary housing, but I could definitely use some organization in my life. And hey, I do love a challenge! There are to be "before" and "after" pictures posted for each challenge completed.


The challenge on Day 6 was to organize your dresser. I also chose to organize my closet on the same day. I did not purge anything (I assume that'll come later in the challenge, though!), but I went through everything and cleaned, sorted, laundered, and organized it all! It took F.O.R.E.V.E.R.!!! but I'm glad to be starting the new year off on such a clean slate! 


I'm so embarrassed to post my "befores"! I got sick, and I was traveling for the holidays, and then there were finals and more travels, and then camp...life was a hot mess! Clearly!!


Here's my dresser before. The top of it became a veritable catch-all for my entire life...



And here it is (way) after! Just my fish, jewelry, pictures, and planner.


The "clothing portion" of the clean-up took the most time. I dumped all of my dresser drawers and gathered up all of the clothes that were piled onto my desk chair (or on the closet floor) and went through  it all. I decided what would be folded and placed in the drawers and organized those items on my bed. The stuff on the back of the bed would later be hung up. Here's the organization process..


This process let me go from this unorganized, unopen-able, bursting wreck...


...to this neatly sorted and packed piece of furniture. Ah, it's so nice to be able to immediately find stuff again! I've also moved some of my more commonly worn items (like pants, for example) out of the closet and into the dresser. It's been a huge time-saver since I only put my most frequently worn things into the drawers. Now I don't have to dig through ALL of my items in my dark closet for those daily staples.


Speaking of my dark closet...here it is before:


And (thankfully...) here it is after (ahh!! you can see the floor!!)


Phew! It took forever! But I'm so glad I did it! It really, really needed to get done :)





3 comments:

  1. #1. love your dresser.
    #2. this inspired me to... look at that blog and wish i had the will to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired! I can't see the floor of my closet, either, so it's stressing me out.

    ReplyDelete